"God must love the common man, He made so many of them..." Abraham Lincoln

Monday, May 4, 2009

Nap Time

Sunday is indeed a day of rest – especially because of the afternoon nap. Those few hours between the end of worship and the start of the workweek are a precious time of rest and renewal. I just don’t get hours like that during the other six days of the week.

Life sure is busy. Pull out anyone’s calendar and you’ll see it’s full – appointments of wondrous variety, lists of infinite variety, and activities of dizzying variety. How does it all get done and get done well? You put your shoulder to the wheel and push along. Heigh-ho, heigh-ho! It's off to work we go!

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday are crammed with shouldering, pushing, and working. Finally Sunday arrives. How nice it is to wake up without a to-do list. How nice it is to wake up looking forward to a nap.

After my nap, I feel like I could conquer the world! I wish I could feel this good every day of the week. It’s almost a shame to waste such energy on a day of rest. Do you think there’s a way to save it for later? Energy storage like food storage? Just imagine…The calendar has promised a truly hectic day, so you just go get a little extra scoop of energy from storage and voila! The house is painted, the marathon is run, the bread is baked, and, and, and…

On second thought, all that energy might kill me. I’ll stick with Sunday afternoon naps just the way they are.

No comments: